Right Quarter
fd12.jpg
fd12.jpg
Here you can get a good look of the quarter before we dug into it. A fair size dinger in front of the taillight and some rust in the lower quarter plus 20 years of gargage wear & tear plus parking lot dings make it a challange

rq8.jpg
rq8.jpg
A better shot of the rust. I purchased partial quarter patches from Sherman & Associates for the quarter rust replacement and decided that the trunk extension was worth saving so we went that way. Other things to note in this shot is the rust above the lip and in front of the wheel well. Both areas needed to be cut out and have patches welded in. Don't just goop Bondo into these holes and think that it is fixed because it will come back to haunt you.

rq2.jpg
rq2.jpg
Hee we have gotten into the taillight housing and massaged the dinger out as much as posible. Next step was to fill the remaining area with Duroglass filler no more than 1/16" thick. If you find that you need more filler than that try to dolly out the metal closer to the original shape because the thicker the filler the more chances it has of cracking.

rq3.jpg
rq3.jpg
We drilled all the spot welds holding the lower panel to the wheel well and trunk and then cut the piece off with a zip wheel leaving about 1" extra. We chose to seam in the new panel just below the body line of the quarter to make the seam stronger. The rule of thumb here is to measure & fit many times before you cut.

rq4.jpg
rq4.jpg
We cut the two panels together about 2-3 inches at a time then align that part of the cut and weld it. We then move on another 2-3 inches and so forth. When you hit the end of the seam the extra piece of the original panel will drop out the back and you have a strong, striaght seam. Here the seam has been welded and ground down now all that remains is to spot weld in the edges and smooth it out.

rq5.jpg
rq5.jpg
Here you can see the three repaired areas of the quarter by the pink filler marks. The rest of the quarter was blocked and dents were massaged and filled then feathered.

rq6.jpg
rq6.jpg
This is a good overview of all the areas that needed to be addressed on this panel. What looked pretty good before turned out to need quite a bit of time invested into it to make it straight and clean.

rq7.jpg
rq7.jpg
This one is done now its on to the other side.